Skip to main content
Medical Library/Information & Communication Sciences
This guide is intended to be used for information purposes only.
A Great Place to Start
A great starting point for reliable health information. Over 750 topics on conditions, diseases, and wellness. Information on drugs, herbs, and supplements. Surgery videos, informative slideshows, and more. By the National Library of Medicine.
Talking With Your Doctor
Tips for Your Doctor Visit
From the article "Talking with Your Doctor":
- Write down a list of questions and concerns before your exam.
- Consider bringing a close friend or family member with you.
- Speak your mind. Tell your doctor how you feel, including things that may seem unimportant or embarrassing.
- If you don’t understand something, ask questions until you do.
- Take notes about what the doctor says, or ask a friend or family member to take notes for you.
- Ask about the best way to contact the doctor (by phone, email, etc.).
- Remember that other members of your health care team, such as nurses and pharmacists, can be good sources of information.
Tips on Finding Quality Information
Health Information Sites
Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
This is the official Web site of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is an online source for credible health information. Topics covered include Data and Statistics, Diseases and Conditions, Emergencies and Disasters, Healthy Living, Travelers' Health and more.
Find information on diseases and conditions, prevention and wellness, as well as information by age groups. Funded by the American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation.
A consumer health information web site from the Department of Health and Human Services.
Lab Tests Online
A public resource on clinical lab testing to help patients or family caregivers understand clinical lab tests. Medical professionals will also find this site useful as a quick reference tool or as a resource for keeping up with advances in laboratory science.
Mayo Clinic Health Information
Includes information on diseases and conditions, drugs and supplements, tests and procedures, and healthy lifestyle information. A team of Mayo physicians, scientists, writers, and educators provide content.
PubMed Health provides reviews of clinical effectiveness research, with easy-to-read summaries for consumers as well as full technical reports. Clinical effectiveness research finds answers to the question “What works?” in medical and health care.
Global map of infectious disease outbreaks around the world.